Saturday, April 4, 2009

mixed feelings

i am having some mixed feelings about this baby...

i am VERY excited to be having another baby boy join our family but at the same time i am feeling a little, ok ALOT of guilt.

guilty in the sense that i am not sure i could love this baby as much as i love my "baby" brock.

and.

gulity in the sense that i will be unable to show brock the attention he has always gotten from me. i will truly miss not being able to spend so much time with him.

with the kids back in school & us not traveling much these past 5 months, i have been able to spend alot of time with just brock. i can't explain what a amazing boy he is & how much i love him. don't get me wrong - i LOVE my older 2 kids just as much as brock but it is different as they are older. i think having jake & keegan a year apart was so overwhelming for me - i was starting a business & steve was traveling 20 days out of the month. by the time brock joined our family - our situation was MUCH different. i have enjoyed every second with him & simply can't get enough of him. he rules our house & everyone is OK with that. so, what's gonna happen when this new baby boy arrives- how is he going to change our family? how will brock handle it? how will mom handle it? i am a little concerned ... 

i know everything will work out & be OK - just feeling guilty & worried but also very excited!

4 comments:

Carol said...

Shelby--I know you will find room in your big heart to love the new baby and Brock and the other two just fine. My daughter had gestational diabetes with her two pregnancies, so I know that is a big bummer. I am thinking of you and will be anxious to hear of the good news soon. I hope to see you &/or Steve at some show soon. (Missed you in Pleasanton, CA... hope to see you at CKC San Marcos, TX in Sept.)
Carol Goodnight

Rookie Blog said...

I already worry about that when I have another baby. Boy or girl. And I'm not even pregnant. I think it's totally normal and Brock will probably surprise you.
Kirstyn is having #6 tomorrow...

Grandma Bethany said...

I felt the same way each time I had another baby. But,with each new baby I felt so much love and I felt such a loss when I knew I couldn't have any more.
The more I had, the more I enjoyed seeing how much the older ones loved the new baby and how much attention and love the new baby received.
Just wait until you see the love Brock will have for his little brother. I just love going to Heidi's and watching Layton and Will playing together for hours together. Brock may feel a little jealous at first, but that is normal. I found it helpful while nursing the baby to read a book to the toddler and include them.
You are a great mom and will do just fine!!

Mom of 3 Boys said...

any update shelby? will babyboy be arriving soon?

my husband worries a lot about what your post is about. he wasnt sure about how our first would feel when we had our 2nd (first was only 19 mos old) and then now he worries about how the 3 and 4yo will react when there is another baby.

but i think your baby will fit in just fine :) and already knows that his mommy is one fast moving lady and he needs to run to catch up :)

good luck! i am 37 weeks tomorrow!