Saturday, April 11, 2009

another baby update

long story short - no baby yet but everything is OK.....

so , i went to my dr appt at 9am & had my routine testing done - dr sent me over to labor & delivery. apparently on the non stress test in the office, it showed consistent contractions & the baby was not reacting very well. dr wanted to deliver BUT his lungs are still not mature - so weird. they know that gestational diabetes slows down the development of the lungs but this is getting ridiculous. questioning my actual due date? but baby is measuring right on with the due date so not sure?! anyways, once they realized his lungs were not mature - they did not want to deliver. i am glad - better safe than sorry! there is the option of giving me steroids & they would mature his lungs BUT dr doesn't like to intervene with steriods on diabetics unless there is no other option. so, i spent 9 HOURS in labor & delivery then they were comfortable sending me home. my contractions were regular & baby was not reacting well but finally felt like he was doing well. it was a long day & not knowing what was happening was the worst part. i am retaining ALOT of water- in fact, when they went to put a IV in, they couldn't- i guess so much fluid between my skin & veins. 4 different people tried & they blew 5 veins (my hands/arms look horrible today). so, YES i am ready to have this little guy but at the same time i want to make sure he is perfectly healthy. not sure WHEN at his point, they will just continue to keep a close eye on me/baby. we have kinda a crazy easter weekend ahead of us but plan to rest as much as possible as it seems to help with the contractions. so, that's  the scoop... hope the next update is one with pictures of this little guy with nothing but good news. 

4 comments:

mom of fab five said...

oh girl--there is nothing more frustrating than the hurry up and wait--i remember that so well--being at the hospital for hours and then being sent home to wait....Keep up your spirits and enjoy the weekend with the kiddo's--he will be here soon enough and then watch out....the fun will really start!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Shelby. At least you have your other kids and Easter for a distraction. I check your blog daily to see if there's any baby news. I am glad they are being cautious, but I can imagine how uncomfortable you are right now. I'll be watching for the happy news!

See you at Creative Escape.

Carol G.

Mom of 3 Boys said...

just was thinking of you and wondered about baby2b...
thanks for the update and hoping this week brings you good news...and a great baby!

Mimi said...

Prayers, Shelby.