Tuesday, December 18, 2007

8th day of Christmas


christmas shopping with kids


so we planned to take the kids & let them shop for each other & also for us. steve & i had it all planned that we would split up & then call each other then swap. well, i started with keegan & brock to shop for jake & dad. then we switched & i went with jake to shop for brock & dad while steve went with keegan (clear as mud??) anyways, it all went as planned & we were just thrilled that it was done. Jake, Brock & I went to load the car & were going to pick up Steve & Keegan in front of the store. Well, Keegan jumps in the car while Steve & I load the rest of the bags in the trunk. We drove down the street - literally down the street & realized that Keegan already had told Jake what she had bought him. UNBELIEVABLE - i knew they would have a hard time keeping a secret (that is why we waited this late to take them shopping). steve was pissed - i just laughed as i expected it to happen. 

it reminded me of this story when i was a kid:
my mom had boxed all of our presents & had the boxes all taped up all in stacks ready to be wrapped. there must of been 30 boxes in stacks in the office. one day my parents were watching the Memphis State basketball game upstairs & Sonya & I (my sister that is 14 months older which has always been NOSEY). Well, we went into the office & opened all the boxes - every single box. In those boxes were our entire christmas. we were so excited but could not wait until christmas to wear all those cute clothes we had seen. long story short: my parents found out. they put me in one room & sonya in another & asked us what we saw... they wanted to know exactly everything we saw. (we had agreed to lie & say we didn't see anything yet). so, we both stuck to our story & lied about it. then, my brillant parents waited about 15 minutes (which seemed like an eternity) came into my room & said that sonya confessed & I had one more chance to tell the truth. so, i did - i told them i saw it all. they did the same thing to sonya until she finally admitted to it. it wasn't until after (quite a while after since sonya was mad at me for giving in & i was mad at her for giving in) that we fiqured out what they really did. we were in so much trouble - my mom insisted that we were getting NOTHING for christmas & everything was going back. i can't remember what really ended up happening - i know we had a great christmas but my mom was livid. as a parent, i can't help but appreciate experiences like this. first of all, it helps me not get so ticked at my kids since i have done the same thing. secondly, i now have a genius way of getting the truth out of my kids when i know they are lying. thirdly, i allows me to relive those childhood memories. good times ...

so, we went out to dinner, came home & put the kids to bed. then steve goes back out & returns the gift keegan bought jake. he feels much better about it now. i am now a little stressed as to what else to get jake as it was not his fault keegan told him. i will worry about it tommorrow.

No comments: